Let's Get High?

Worry not family, friends and well wishers, I don't do drugs and you shouldn't too, but this doesn't mean that I can't still get high on other addictions. Today, I'm talking about destination addiction.

Let me digress a little bit before I take you to rehab. You see, I like being online because of the sense of community that comes with the internet. The fact that I am simultaneously connected to someone in Seoul, who is trying to figure out whether the infamous 2015 dress is blue or gold is pretty cool to me (remember that *g** dress lol). My daily internet rummage sometimes produces gold, particularly when I find that someone has perfectly articulated a thought I have been struggling to articulate for a while. Sometimes, it is almost as if the universe understands my struggle and decides to use her invisible hand of mental connection to transpose the elusive thought to the mind of another of her wards. The universe then decides that she is not done, and she guides my iPhone scrolling fingers to the very online spot where the thought has been articulated and kept for me. This picture reflects one of those thoughts, and it deals with destination addiction. 
Aspire to a great future, but not at the expense of the present.
I couldn't have said it better than this. No Patrick Obiagbon styled English exploration is necessary to pass across this thought. It is just what it is. Beware of destination addiction. Do not get high on the imminent fulfillment of the coming dream, that you forget to be happy now, that you forget to live now. There are so many young people who are unhappy with their portion, and are in fact borderline depressed about it. The only escape they have is destination addiction. Yes, in as much as I admit that you should work towards a brighter future and mentally romance the idea of who you want to become, I don't think it is worth it to get high on this destination that you fail to live in the present.


Please understand that I am all for having a goal, a vision, a dream, a purpose and all those other fancy words we use to describe what our hearts really want. However, I have noticed that we barely take time to understand our current situation, or appreciate the process of getting to our destination. What does this result into? This results into being unhappy with our current portion and by extension, not learning what ought to be learnt from a particular situation. This leads to looking over your shoulders into other people's seeming destination, not knowing whether they also have destination addiction for their next destination (arghhh! lol.)

If while reading this blogpost, you realize you have destination addiction, then welcome to rehab. I'm in rehab myself and it feels really good. This is my therapy. First, I think it is important to be grateful and thankful for where you are. One man's life savings is another man's daily expenditure, just like how your not so cool situation is another person's desire. Irrespective of how bad it is for you, believe me, someone is faring much worse. Second, I think you should congratulate yourself on still having a destination or a semblance of a destination, and not being too discouraged to hope for better days. Third, take some time out to congratulate yourself on the good things you have achieved thus far. This is not the time to be shy or modest. Think about your most important achievement and encourage yourself with it, realizing that you have the capacity to reach the next goal without being unduly obsessed by it. Fourth, take a break if you can. This doesn't necessarily mean taking time off school or work. It may just mean taking out some really quiet time to do something that makes you happy. You can watch a movie, read your Bible or go and sleep. Your destination is not running away. Fifth, speak to your Miss Bulgaria about your thoughts, worries and obsessions and be encouraged by their enthusiasm for your happiness irrespective of how far or close you are to your destination. 

For me, the most important tip for overcoming destination addiction, or even destiny addiction (note oh, it is the addiction we are curing, not the having of a destination lol.) lies at the core of my faith which teaches me that every situation occurs for a reason and my story has been pre-written (Psalm 139 v 16) and whenever I want to get high on some destination addiction, these ancient words work as an antidote and bring me back to a place of peace and gratitude, which is where I always want to be, and on this note, I wish you a Merry Christmas.

Let me also slot in another pictorial evidence of a successful online rummage .  #20slove



P.S One thing I probably don't say enough is that I don't have all the answers oh. I only have opinions on issues I think affect us in our twenties. I think the appeal of this blog is that the issues being discussed are real, and if you enjoy reading the blog, you can contribute to its growth and to other lives by joining the conversation. You can do this by dropping a comment, or if there is anything you think is worth writing about, you can send a mail to thattwentiesblog@gmail.com and I will be happy to throw the topic to the house or give my rebuttable opinion on the topic.

P.Ser- No P.Ser today. Gocha! 
  

No comments :

Post a Comment