I am cold and shivering too

Photo Credit
I remember thinking that teenage-hood was the worst time ever! I knew everything, was mature enough to handle anyone but I was still being treated like a child in kindergarten. Life was bursting with the allure of rebellion, the spewing of snide comments, the watching of Mario's dance steps in "How do I breathe" (despite the size of his nostrils, see evidence) and the contemplation of  why Omarion was not the hottest guy in "B2K". 

Little did I know that the clouds of the 20's were gathering and without warning, the tropical rain drops of bills, getting a job, responsibilities of making choices and the social media race to success would fall hard and soak me right through.

I was so cold, and as I shivered with the realisation of all that had hit me, I shivered even more when I further realised that I was the only one who got caught in this 20's storm. Everyone else in their 20's appeared not only to have escaped the storm, but were lounging in some Caribbean island enjoying the warmth and beauty that life had bestowed, and they freely let me see this on social media (figuratively and literately speaking sometimes.)

Then one day I screamed out. I shouted at the top of my voice "I am cold and shivering! I can't handle this seemingly never ending storm" and I heard a voice as meek as that of a toddler that had just been told off, and the voice said "I am cold and shivering too". I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that the person I thought was basking in the Caribbean sun was practically freezing and had put up a false pretext because they too felt alone.

This is why this blog exists. This blog exists because I am tired of people feeling alone while navigating through this necessary phase of life. I am tired of people not being able to reach out for support that is right there beside them, I am tired of people being afraid to chase their dreams because they think they are not worthy, or their dreams will appear comedic. I am tired of too many people falling and failing under imaginary pressures. I am tired of being afraid, but I am still so afraid of having so many great people around me remain afraid.

If the message above means anything to you, then this is your comfort zone. No one is here to provide all the solutions, rather the aim is to create a space where you can be, strive and not be judged. Where you can try without fear of failure, and speak, confident that you will be heard. Just like the picture above, we plan to be your red umbrella, if you allow us.

Your 20's matter to you and for some reason your 20's matter to us too, and on my 20shonour, we are going to make this work!

No comments :

Post a Comment